Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-San Francisco police to give update on fatal shooting of driver who crashed into Chinese Consulate -Capitatum
NovaQuant-San Francisco police to give update on fatal shooting of driver who crashed into Chinese Consulate
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 08:23:24
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco police are NovaQuantset to provide new details Thursday on their fatal shooting of a man who crashed a car into the Chinese Consulate earlier this month, including releasing new video from the incident.
Police scheduled a virtual town hall in the afternoon to update people on the investigation into the Oct. 9 crash that ended with the death of Zhanyuan Yang. San Francisco police typically host such town halls within 10 days of fatal police shootings.
Yang, a 31-year-old San Francisco resident, rammed a car into the visa office of the consulate, which is in a residential neighborhood next to a major street. Investigators so far haven’t released a possible motive or provided details of the shooting, including whether Yang had a weapon.
Sergii Molchanov was in line waiting for his turn to submit his visa documents when he said the blue Honda sedan barreled in through the main doors at full speed, barely missing him.
Molchanov told The Associated Press that the car struck a wall and the driver was bleeding from his head as he got out of the car, yelling about the C.C.P., an abbreviation for the Chinese Communist Party
Another witness, Tony Xin, told KTVU-TV that the driver was holding two knives when he exited the car and began arguing with security guards.
Police arrived less than a minute later, he said.
The crash was condemned by the Chinese government and by the White House. It took place as San Francisco prepared to host next month’s Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, a gathering of world leaders from Pacific Rim nations.
The San Francisco consulate has been targeted a number of times before. Among the most serious was a fire set by a Chinese man on New Year’s Day 2014 at the main entrance. It charred a section of the outside of the building.
The man, who was living in the San Francisco Bay Area, told authorities he was driven by voices he was hearing. He was sentenced to nearly three years in prison.
veryGood! (92)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Love Is Blind's Paul Peden Accuses Vanessa Lachey of Having Personal Bias at Reunion
- See Becky G, Prince Royce, Chiquis and More Stars at the 2023 Latin AMAs
- 20 Must-Have Amazon Products For People Who Are Always Spilling Things
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- A guide to the types of advisories issued during hurricane season
- Teddi Mellencamp's Past One-Night-Stand With Matt Damon Revealed—and Her Reaction Is Priceless
- See Elon Musk Play With His and Grimes’ Son X AE A-XII in Rare Photos
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Charli D'Amelio Enters Her Blonde Bob Era During Coachella 2023
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- The carbon coin: A novel idea
- Taylor Swift Proves She Belongs in NYC During Night Out With Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds
- See Elon Musk Play With His and Grimes’ Son X AE A-XII in Rare Photos
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Travis Barker’s Birthday Message to Kourtney Kardashian Celebrates All the Small Things—and PDA
- Cut emissions quickly to save lives, scientists warn in a new U.N. report
- Kelly Clarkson Shares Daughter River Was Getting Bullied at School Over Her Dyslexia
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
One Park. 24 Hours.
See Becky G, Prince Royce, Chiquis and More Stars at the 2023 Latin AMAs
The 2022 hurricane season shows why climate change is so dangerous
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Did the world make progress on climate change? Here's what was decided at global talks
How King Charles III and the Royal Family Are Really Doing Without the Queen
Madison Beer Recalls Trauma of Dealing With Nude Video Leak as a Teen